Tuesday, February 28, 2012

C4KSummary for February 2012


Sosaia is a year 5 student at Point England School in New Zealand. Her teacher is Miss King. This particular blog posting was about her trip to Tonga to meet family. Her enthusiasm about the airplane trip and being at the beach was something we share as I love flying and the beach. I told her I would like to visit Tonga myself but it was 10,920 kilometers from where I live, and that was a nine-hour airplane ride. In describing herself, she said she loved reading. I told her that reading was my favorite too.



Allison had the unique opportunity to interview a great great nephew of Christopher Columbus. She asked some great questions about Columbus and then added some facts about Columbus and his travels to the new world. I said it would be exciting to be related to a famous person, and her questions were good ones.. Her facts about what Columbus brought to the new world (earthworms and horses) and what he brought back from the new world (potatoes and tomatoes) made me want to learn more.



Taylor was a joy to watch in a flash mob at her school's basketball game. At halftime, Taylor and her drama group treated spectators to a rendition of Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music, a play coming up on the school schedule. Taylor was adorable. She is the young girl near the right hand side of the video in double ponytails. I hope the play went well for her. And what a great way to promote a school play.



Giorgio posted an intriguing historical conundrum: one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorists. He linked to a talk given by Professor John Bolt on November 14, 2001 just after the events of 9/11. My first comment did not post correctly so I had to apologize and try again. I suggested he consider the definition of a terrorist as anyone deliberately targeting children as a guideline and quoted him then Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir who said, "Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us." Giorgio is in a 10th grade history class where they start to question and consider their own concepts of historical terminology.

1 comment: